July 17, 2009
Well, LilSis, the horse races sound like a lot of fun. Unless of course, you’re here in Texas where it’s AFRICA HOT! We have horse races here too, but there’s no ding dang way I’m going to the track when it’s 104 degrees like it has been this week. Sure, you can watch the horses from the air-conditioned indoor area, but where’s the fun in that? I like to be down on the rail where you can feel the dirt flying and hear the horses breathing.
Surely, surely, there is no-sweat summer fun to be had in Texas (and other sizzling places) that won’t involve a call to the paramedics and a trip to the hospital for heat stroke! Surely! You can only sit in the house playing Wii and watching the “Real Housewives of New Jersey” for so long.
Here’s what I came up with. If you have other ideas, please share them! We’re desperate out here, folks!
- Check out one of the blockbuster summer movies.
- Hang out at the pool IN the water, not just near it.
- Spend the day at a water park. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
- Go to the mall and shop the summer sales. Don’t go in any store that has winter clothes displayed already!
- Investigate your local museums – besides art, you may have a science and history museum or something else interesting that you never think of visiting.
- Whip out the Slip N Slide.
- Play in the sprinkler – do kids even do that any more?
- Make homemade ice cream. We used to love homemade banana and homemade coke ice cream. And vanilla, of course, with chocolate syrup.
- If your car has working a/c, drive to Starbuck’s and get a frappucino.
- Go to a restaurant where you aren’t sad to not be dining al fresco. Have a cold beer or an iced tea with a cool salad, and some sherbet.
- Visit the library…you remember the library, right? That’s what we had before Barnes & Noble and Amazon hit the scene.
- Shop at the farmer’s market for all of the season’s bounty…but go early, early, early before it gets hot, hot, hot!
- Make a big bowl of guacamole and eat it with the crispiest chips you can find and the iciest margarita you can blend up.
- Watch movies with lots of snow. How about “Snow Dogs”?
- Get a frosty fruit smoothie for breakfast from your local smoothie shop. What the heck; have one for lunch!
That’s it for me. If you’ve got a cool idea, let me know. We’re melting out here!