July 14, 2009
If you were reading a couple of days ago, I mentioned that I would share with you my some of my favorite healthy snacks. I’ve recently cut out a few that were too high in calories and/or fat and have narrowed down my favorites to these snacks that are all between 100 – 200 calories. Here’s my Top Ten:
- Mott’s Healthy Harvest Granny Smith Applesauce (mid-morning snack) (1 cup; 50 calories, 0 fat)
- Boiled or scrambled egg with Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (mid-morning snack) (1 large egg, 70 calories, 4.5 g. fat)
- Trader Joe’s Multi-Grain Pretzel Nuggets with Sesame Seeds (22 pretzel nuggets; 110 calories, 1 gram fat)
- The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Wedges or Cheese Bites (1 wedge or 5 cheese bites; 35 calories, 2 grams fat)
- Weight Watchers Natural Light String Cheese (1 stick; 50 calories, 2.5 g. fat)
- Shelled Edamame (1/2 c. serving; 110 calories, 3.5 g. fat)
- Trader Joe’s Everything Pretzel Slims (23 slims; 110 calories, 1/2 g. fat)
- The Laughing Cow Mini Babybel Light (1 piece; 50 calories, 3 g. fat)
- Trader Joe’s Parmesan Garlic Pita Chips (1 oz.; 130 calories, 4 g. fat)
- Trader Joe’s Roasted Garlic Hummus (2 T.; 50 calories, 3.5 g. fat)
I love to combine the pretzel nuggets with the cheese bites and the pita chips with the hummus, so I reduce the quantity of the pretzels and the pita chips in an effort to keep each snack around 150 calories.
You’ll notice that several of my favorites are from Trader Joe’s and I do know that not everyone has a Trader Joe’s nearby, but you can definitely find similar products made by different companies. Rold Gold has some Harvest Wheat Pretzel Twists that are low in calories and fat and there are plenty of brands of pita chips and hummus. Or, when you have time, why not make your own pita chips and hummus?
And, you can also tell by my list that I don’t crave sweets at all. But if I did, I’d be snacking on sugar free Jello snack packs, which only have 10 calories and zero fat per serving. You can’t go wrong with that!
I would love to hear from you if you have a favorite low calorie, low fat snack! Come on…it’s nice to share.